This has been described as popcorn soul, which immediately made me picture a committee of very serious Belgian citizens sitting in a circle, earnestly debating what soul music is while passing around a bowl of Jiffy Pop. I mean… bless them. They tried.
Now, I’ll be the first to admit I have absolutely no clue how to define popcorn soul. None. Zero. If you asked me to explain it, I’d probably just start sweating and point at a saxophone. But if Larry Tridder and Carbon Copy are ambassadors of this mysterious subgenre, then fine — I can groove with that. I don’t need to understand it to enjoy it. Half my record collection is built on that principle.
Larry himself passed in 2020 at the age of 80, and while he never cracked the charts (at least according to my extremely scientific method of “Googling until I get distracted”), the man had a busy career. He knocked boots with Buddy Holly and the Crickets, recorded in the Norman Petty studios, and generally lived the kind of musical life that makes you go, “Dang, okay, sir!”
It’s a nice reminder that a good career doesn’t have to be Beatles‑level or come with screaming fans and airport chaos. Sometimes it’s just decades of steady work, cool collaborations, and leaving behind a few 45s weirdos like me get excited about while drinking morning coffee.




No comments:
Post a Comment