It was a very exhausting week. I flew to Colorado, which meant very little sleep, and of course my return flight was delayed because apparently the travel gods felt I hadn't suffered enough. I didn't get into RDU until 1:30 a.m. and wasn't home until 3:30am. Three-and-a-half hours of sleep later, I was back up tackling other tasks. The body is simply not as resilient as it used to be. When I was younger, I could bounce back from this kind of abuse. Now I need a recovery plan for a good night's sleep.
The trip wasn't all bad, though.
I found some pretty cool records and managed to do a healthy amount of crate
digging. Another bonus was coming home to records waiting in the mailbox,
including today's arrival. I managed to score this Sister Rosetta Tharpe
record and, oh my, is it ever choice. I've pulled a few highlights to share.
I love Rosetta and never pass one of her records by when I'm digging through crates. The problem is, I almost never find them. She possessed incredible power, a truly unique voice, and an influence on the development of R&B and Rock and Roll that cannot be overstated. For once, the Rock and Roll Hall of F(Sh)ame actually got one right when they inducted her.
So enjoy a little Sister Rosetta
today. Take a moment to reflect on how much modern music owes to her pioneering
work. Without Rosetta Tharpe, Rock and Roll might have developed very
differently, and some of the music we love today might never have existed at
all.




No comments:
Post a Comment