Monday, September 28, 2026

Ripp Tide- Dynamite/The Rains Came

For some reason, I was expecting instrumental surf sounds when I dropped the needle on this one. Instead, "Dynamite" comes screaming out of the speakers with all the subtlety of its title. If TNT had a soundtrack, this might be it.

Things take an unexpected turn on the flip side when the singer slams on the brakes with a slow, deliberate cover of "The Rains Came," the classic associated with Sambo and the House Wreckers and later Sir Douglas Quintet. It's a long way from the explosive energy of "Dynamite," but that's what makes the record interesting.

A quick look at the credits reveals that the writer of the song also produced this version, so his vision is clearly on display. In other words, there was no middleman, no committee meeting, and no record executive suggesting they "make it sound more commercial." This is the songwriter saying, "No, this is how I meant it to sound all along." Whether you agree with him or not, it's hard to argue with that level of confidence.



No comments: