Thursday, January 11, 2024

Tim Moore - Rock and Roll Love Letter

I think I have written how when I was 9 or so we moved from the mountains in Colorado (Granby) to the plains near Colorado Springs (Penrose). My parents listened to country music so I was familiar with country music and their Elvis records, and the only radio station we could get played a little soft rock and roll like Elvis, the Carpenters, Cat Stevens, and some crooners like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. When we moved in May (1974 or 1975) I remember my first day on the school bus the radio played Rock and Roll. I came home and was super excited about the cool music I heard. My parents shook their head knowing their eldest son was now hooked and country music was a thing of the past. The school bus played the top 40 station so I heard the hits. At night, I had a little transistor radio and I would listen to this station out of Oklahoma City of all places. That was were I first heard the Beach Boys, Beatles, sixties top hits. I was obssessed. I loved the catchy songs so being a new teeny bopper,  I remember when the Bay City Rollers released Saturday Night...damn I grooved on them. It is embarrising to say that I threw a fit on my birthday as I wanted the Bay City Rollers Greatest Hits album and they bought me some other crappy Bay City Rollers album- I wanted the hits dammit..lol. But I loved the rollers and their version of this song. I had no idea it was a cover version. Matter of fact, I love the band The Records and they did a version. A few years back I finally heard the original version by Tim Moore and thought "How did I not know this was out there?" I tracked it down and I hope he made some royalties from the other versions but it's a shame this died a quiet death.



No comments: