Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fraturday Soul N Garage

I was feeling all week that Friday night was going to be Soul night. Unfortunately, this past week was one of the toughest work weeks I have had in a long time and last night I was dead dog exhausted and went to bed early. But after the best night of sleep I have had in a while, I feel ready to get the funk on and make this a Fraturday post.

One thing I hope to convey over time is the diverse musical taste I have. The span of my collection is literally from the 1940's to albums released this week. Indie, Punk, Alternative, Dinosaur rock, Jazz, Country, and Soul to name a few genres that litter my collection. And regarding Soul, I am a late comer to those sweet sounds, having only being exposed to the typical (and I'm going to generalize here) Motown fare that radio gives us. It was not until I started running into obscure 45's that I discovered amazing soul music. Now don't get me wrong, the standard top 40 Motown has its place and I can sing along to the Temptations like everyone else. But it did not grab me as much like other styles of music did. But as I expanded my 45 collection, I discovered soul music that now has become just as essential to me as indie bands are. And some of this stuff is increasingly difficult to find.

At this time, I'm going to give a plug to my friend Jason and his most excellent web site http://www.carolinasoul.org . Jason and I have gone on a few record searching jaunts and I hope that we have the opportunity to do more. I highly recommend that you download his recent 3 hour radio show (it's broken up into 2 MP3 downloads). Amazing stuff!

First up for your listening pleasure is a recent acquisition of mine on Trump from Donnie, Fonnie & La Vorn titled "It's A Sweet Love". I don't know much about them...obviously early 70's soul and they may be from Memphis. I do know that it is candy to my ears.







Next up is my Saturday offering, a garage raver from the Knickerbockers on Challenge. They were best known for their song "Lies", which was mistaken at the time as being by the "Beatles". They were never able to recreate that success and only had a few other minor chart hits, this not being one of them. From research, it appears they were a casualty of their record company's ineptness. After listening to this recent find, I would agree. How was this not played all over the radio in 1967?



No comments: