Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Night Gospel Reverend Cleophus Robinson

It's Sunday night Gospel and I have a treat for you today. It's one of my favorite 45's of all time by the great Reverend Cleophus Robinson.

A few years ago, my parents sent me a big box of 45's they had purchased in an auction. I went through them and organized them as I usually do: keepers, not keepers and ones to listen to further to make a determination on. As I was doing that, I came across this Promo 45 on the Peacock label. At the time, I did not know anything about the Peacock label so I put it in the pile that I was going to listen to. When I did listen to it, I was mesmerized. Could he sing.

I did a google search and was disappointed that there was no wikipedia entries. What I did find was that his career spanned some five decades and that he recorded 75 albums--five going gold--and had more than 30 singles. He was a pastor of the Greater Bethlehem Baptist Church in St. Louis for 41 years and also had a syndicated gospel show for 28 years. He died in 1998 at the age of 66. I have but a handful of 45's and albums by him. I've included both sides of the 45 as well as a video of another song from youtube.

















Reverend Cleophus Robinson -

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best black gospel/spritual singers ever. If you find his superb "You Got To Love Somebody" on Battle, grab it and spin it. My rule is when I find Peacock Gospel 45 or LP discs, and they are in playable condition, I take them home. As a rule, If it is on Peacock Records, it is at least excellent. Often great. I have not been burned yet. A wise rule for crate diggers.

Poppacool said...

I passed on some Peacock 45's today only because I was unsure if I had them..I will keep an eye out for the Battle 45

Holly said...

Happy new year!

"He Won't Fail You" is linking to "Soon I Will Be Done" - if you ever feel like posting "He Will Fail You" would love to hear :-)

Poppacool said...

I will have to re-record. lost some mp3s last year when my laptop crashed. give me a few weeks