Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gospel Night: Tommy James Church Street Soul Revival

I have always loved Tommy James and the Shondells. And it is a crying shame that they are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Shame, er Fame. Until artists other 60's artists like Tommy James get in the HOF, it WILL be a HOS. Whew, I'm fired up..I was about to get really negative but then I remembered its gospel Sunday. I'd rather rejoice than spit hate! Tommy has a biography out and I would love to read it soon. He had a notorious drug habit in the late 60's but became clean as well as a Christian. He has written some wonderful uplifting spiritual songs in the early 70s. I believe this was late 69 or early 1970.  I believe it was previously issued as a B side to a TJ and the Shondells 45.



















Tommy James - Church Street Soul Revival

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Church Street Soul Revival was originally the "A" side of a 45, with Draggin' The Line as the "B" side. Apparently most DJ's liked the "B" side better, so Tommy and crew reworked Draggin' The Line just a bit (ie, adding the double horn 'toot' at the end of the Draggin' The Line part sung by the guy with the deep voice). They then re-released Draggin' The Line as an "A" side, and climbed the Billboard pop charts to #3 or #4.

I'm Comin' Home is a song about The Prodigal Son...Sweet Cherry Wine represents the blood of Jesus, and knowing that, the entire song takes on a whole new meaning. Crystal Blue Persuasion, Meet The Comer, and many others have Tommy's Christian faith in the melodious lyrics of his songs. Dale Smith

Poppacool said...

Thanks for the comments. Sweet Cherry Wine is one of my favs.