Friday, August 10, 2012

Winston Jones - Looking For A Home

I had a little road trip planned before school starts in a week but my plans fell through. Disappointed but resilient, I chose to hit some places I had not gone to before since I had had a few days off from work. I ended up finding about a dozen 45's yesterday and it was a good haul. I found this 45 in a little shop that had a whole bunch of 60s soul 45s. It looked interesting so I took a chance. I found a reference on the web and this is apparently a pricey soul 45 from a Brooklyn label. The interesting thing is the label on this copy. The picture I found showed the label as Flames 101. My guess is this may be a test pressing or early advance as the etching matches the label F-101. The apparent typed writing is faint and backwards and I could not make out what it says. Any thoughts on this appreciated

4 comments:

Lupine Assassin said...

http://www.popsike.eu/pix/20100730/330456383341.jpg

Lupine Assassin said...

Looking at the label you posted, the faint letter reveals this: http://www.classic45s.com/images/opals.gif

Poppacool said...

The popsike pic is the one I found. Not sure if my 45 matches the other one. It is pretty much solid orange. The lettering reminds me of other 45s I have found that have been wet and the labels soaked onto another label. Only difference is the labels on this show no evidence of damage. A bit of a mystery

Poppacool said...

I wonder if it was stored near the opals 45. The interesting thing is the same group name (opals) is backwards on both sides.