Saturday, August 15, 2026

San Diego Misfits -I Wanna Be Your Lover Man / Going Where The Girls Are

Yes, I’m late posting today — but listen, I’ve already lived an entire mini‑lifetime before 10 a.m. First stop: the laundromat, because our washing machine has been broken for two weeks and Electrolux sat on their fat behinds and decided it will not be examined until the 24th. Thank you, Electrolux, you magnificent bastages. Truly the Picasso of inconvenient scheduling.

Then I hit some yard sales, because I woke up with that delusional collector confidence — the “today’s the day I find a $500 Northern Soul banger for a quarter” energy. Can you say NOT. I found exactly zero treasures and one ceramic clown that looked like it wanted to steal my soul.

So, in honor of my lateness and my complete lack of yard‑sale glory, I’m giving you boys and girls something special — maybe even the only surviving copy in the world. You might think I’m exaggerating, but honestly? I might not be. Stranger things have happened. (Like those psych and soul 45s, including this one, magically teleporting to Clayton, NC — still unsolved, still weird.)

Let me back up. I bought this mystery disc a few years ago in a massive haul of 8,000 45s. Most of it was your standard “why did anyone press this?” material — the kind of stuff that makes you question both humanity and the concept of vinyl as a medium — but tucked inside were several boxes of absolute killer extremely rare West Coast psych and soul. And because it was an all‑or‑nothing deal, I had to pull the plug and take the whole mountain home. Ouch, indeed. My wallet still wakes up screaming and my wife reminds me as well.  And in the middle of that psychedelic treasure chest sat this thing — a test pressing so obscure it practically hisses, “You’re not supposed to have me.”

Naturally, I had to sleuth. I started with the Troy label, where the Cogs of Dis lists an 8-inch acetate of the A side track — except the B‑side was the same song without the audience screams. My copy doesn’t list a B‑side title, but it’s obviously a different cut — the lyrics keep shouting “Going Where The Girls Are,” and when I asked Shazam for help, it basically told me to take a hike. Full digital shrug. So I’m rolling with that. If the universe wants to correct me, it can send a surviving Misfit to my doorstep with a label copy and a handwritten apology.

Here’s the kicker: This appears to be an unreleased test pressing by the San Diego Misfits, featuring Bob Mosley, who later joined Moby Grape. Possibly the only surviving test pressing of this on Troy. Possibly the only copy, period. Possibly something that should’ve come out but didn’t, which is a crime against garage‑psych humanity.

If any surviving San Diego Misfits members are out there, please explain yourselves. We deserve answers. And maybe a reissue. Honestly, you can always purchase it from me and reissue it properly — hint hint, Get Hip, The Numero Group, Light In The Attic — just make sure you give me credit for finding the damn thing in the first place. I’m the one who rescued it from an 8,000‑record avalanche and gave it a second chance at daylight. The least you can do is slap my name somewhere in the liner notes, preferably in a font size visible from space.

hhh

2 comments:

George Leroy Tirebiter said...

Can't offer any details of the group, tho 535 Bryant St in San Francisco was the S.F. Audio-Records Co. mastering/pressing studio in the 1960s.

Poppacool said...

Any information is more information than I have. Thanks for providing another small piece of the puzzle