I present another Scott
Sisters 45 and find myself wondering: What do I write this week?
Last week I posted the
second of the three 45s the Scott Sisters released, and, as is often the case
with these little musical time capsules, there wasn’t much information to go
on. Today, I present their first release—and quite possibly their most
sought-after 45. Three records. Three years. Then…nothing.
And that, of course, is
where the mystery begins. Looking at the songwriting credits on the labels, I
suspect the sisters themselves may have written these songs. If so, that makes
these records even more intriguing to me. There is something deeply personal in
music when the people singing it are also the ones doing the thinking, writing,
and creating. Their music carries that combination of creativity,
introspection, and gospel infusion that makes you wonder what else was
happening in their lives beyond these few precious minutes captured on vinyl.
And then they disappear
from the record trail. I hope they simply went on creating in other ways.
Perhaps they remained active in their congregation, raised families, served
their communities, and lived long, happy, well-spent lives— the kind that never
makes headlines but leaves fingerprints on hearts. Maybe the music stopped, but
the service didn’t. There’s something humbling about that thought.
We collectors spend a lot
of time chasing records, trying to uncover who made them, where they went, and
why they vanished. But occasionally the mystery reminds me that the record may
not have been the most important thing they left behind. Maybe it was the life
they lived after the music. And I’ll admit: thinking about them makes me
reflect on my own life. Records are wonderful things to collect—but lives are
meant to be lived, and hopefully, to be of some service to others. I pray I can be of more service to others.
So here’s to the Scott
Sisters: three 45s, a little mystery, some beautiful music, and a reminder that
sometimes the story beyond the record is the one worth wondering about most —
maybe the rest of their legacy was lived, not pressed.


No comments:
Post a Comment