Thursday, October 03, 2024

Bad Religion - Atomic Garden

 Today is my Friday as I took tomorrow off....a much needed day off I may add. Somehow this 45 seemed appropriate for this morning. I was listening to the radio this morning on my walk with Cooper and there was some discussion on the Middle East and concerns that Iran could use a Nuclear weapon. I thought of this song as I had just recorded it a few weeks ago. The story on this 45 is interesting. The orange vinyl version is rare as hell. I had purchased a copy through SFTRI mail order...I had ordered the 45 and Long John sent me the Orange vinyl copy...Wow! According to the Bad Religion website, "This version was released before the regular (black) issue and only few were made.Sympathy label owner 'Long Gone John' has said 'Im pretty sure the yellow copies were mostly given to band...and I kept a few..." Unfortunately I had to sell it when my wife went out of work as we needed the money. Of course at the time I did not realize it was rare as hell. Turns out, they did not print up many as it turned out the one sided 45 (B side has etchings on the vinyl) as the Orange did not highlight the etchings very well. So except for the few on Orange, it was exclusively on black vinyl. In 2018 someone listed a copy on Discogs and I bought it immediately and was happy to have it back in my collection. As a Test Pressing for the 45, SFTRI also pressed up an even rarer version that had the etchings on both sides. Again from the Bad Religion website, "These 5 copies were custom pressed by Long Gone John himself and given to Epitaph Records. The copies came without a picture sleeve according to a former Epitaph employee.1 track - Test press - Limited 5".  Of course there is no 1 track as both sides have the etchings. I bought my copy from Bomp Records back in the day so obviously the got it from Epitaph. I was oblivious to how rare it is and also tried to sell it when I sold the orange vinyl copy. Luckily no one bought it as I have no doubt I would never be able to replace it.  Not sure if the pictures really show the coolness of these copies. I also have the straight black vinyl copy as of course I am OCD with this stuff. Let's pray the Middle East does not become an Atomic Garden.














No comments: